This tutorial requires the use of a text editing program like Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac, however it will be easier to follow using a more fully featured editor which will colour the HTML code to make it easier to follow. I recommend Visual Studio Code.
Create a new folder on your computer (for example in the documents area), named Website.
- Open your text editing programme and open the folder. If it does not permit opening of a folder, skip this step for now
- Create a new file. In Visual Studio Code you can choose File -> New File from the menu
- Save the file (if you were unable to open a folder earlier, save the file to the folder you just created). Name the file 'Index.html'
- Type the following text into the editor and then save the file again:
<title>A test page</title>
- Navigate to the folder you created and open the index.html file – it should open with your computer's default web browser (e.g. Chrome, Edge, Safari etc.)
- You should see something similar to that displayed below:
- Notice how the <title>
element you added is displayed in the tab.
- You can also change the text in your text editor and use the refresh button (or F5) to view changes to your website as you are working on it.