This tutorial requires the use of a text editing program like Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac, however it will be easier to follow using a more fully featured editor which will colour the HTML code to make it easier to follow. I recommend either Notepad++ (Windows) or TextWrangler (Mac).
Create a new folder on your computer (for example in the documents area), named Website.
Open your text editing programme
- If you are using Notepad++ click 'Language' on the menu, then H, and then select HTML.
- If you are using TextWrangler, click 'Edit' then 'Text Options' and in the language, and choose HTML.
- Save the file to the folder you just created. Name the file 'Index' and leave the .html extension in place
- Type the following text into the editor and then save the file again:
<title>A test page</title>
- Navigate to the folder you created and open the index.html file – it should open with Internet Explorer, or possibly another web browser.
- You should see something similar to that displayed below:
- Notice how the <title>
element you added is displayed in the tab.
- You can also change the text in Notepad++ and use the refresh button (or F5) to view changes to your website as you are working on it.